Citrix to Become a Platinum Sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation
Lead Developer of CloudStack and Xen Open Source Software Projects Invests in the Success of the Apache Community
Citrix today announced that it has increased its existing commitment to open source and become a platinum sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation (ASF), a non-profit, volunteer-run open source foundation. Citrix will join fellow ASF sponsors Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! to help aid organizational, legal and financial support for numerous Apache projects.
Through a collaborative and meritocratic development process, the ASF provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial contributions that simultaneously limits contributors’ potential legal exposure. As a result, Apache projects deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for all users, commercial and individual, to deploy Apache products.
“We are pleased to welcome Citrix to our individual and corporate sponsors whose generosity helps advance the day-to-day operations of The Apache Software Foundation,” said ASF Chairman Doug Cutting. “This support helps us successfully shepherd more than 100 top-level projects, incubate dozens of open source innovations, broaden community outreach, and enhance the lives of countless users and developers The Apache Way.”
“As one of the most widely trusted names in open source, the Apache Software Foundation has provided the governance and resources that have helped developers launch some of the world’s most successful open source projects,” said Sameer Dholakia, Group VP and GM of Cloud Platforms, Citrix. “We see the Apache Software Foundation as an important partner in helping developers innovate, collaborate and adopt standards around the software that is powering the transition to the Cloud Era. Our sponsorship and participation with the ASF will spur rapid innovation of the cloud.”
The Citrix sponsorship of the ASF is in addition to its announcement today that it will relicense its CloudStack project under the Apache License and submit its CloudStack code to the ASF. CloudStack includes a community of more than 30,000 active community members, thousands of certified apps, and hundreds of production clouds, collectively generating more than $1 billion in cloud revenue from some of the biggest brands in the industry.
- Announcement: Citrix Unveils Next Phase of CloudStack Strategy
- Expert Blog: CloudStack Building “Communities of Inclusion” with Apache
- Expert Blog: CloudStack and Hadoop: a Match Made in the Cloud
Expert Blogs on today’s news from Citrix partners:
- ActiveState: “The Cloud Opens Up -- Citrix Takes CloudStack to Apache” by Toph Whitmore, VP of Marketing
- Appcara: Citrix Open Source Commitment Accelerates App Lifecycle Agility and Portability by John Yung, CEO
- BT: “Is the Sun Poking Out From Behind the Cloud?” By John Gillam, CTO
- Contegix: “Miracloud, CloudStack and the Commitment to Open Source” by Matthew Porter, CEO
- Cumulogic: “Citrix CloudStack Platform is Now Apache CloudStack” by Rajesh Ramchandani, founder and VP of Products
- Datapipe: “Datapipe and CloudStack” by Ed Laczynski, VP of Cloud Strategy and Architecture
- Engine Yard: “Engine Yard Joins the Apache CloudStack Project” by Bill Platt, VP, Operations
- enStratus: “enstratus CloudStack and the Apache Foundation” by George Reese, CTO
- GoDaddy: “Why Citrix Giving CloudStack to the Apache Foundation is Great for the Cloud” by Brian Krouse, VP of Hosting Product Development
- Hortonworks: “Hortonworks Welcomes Citrix and CloudStack to the Apache Community” by Eric Baldeschwieler, Co-founder and CTO
- NetApp: “Exposed” by Val Bercovici, Sr. Director, Office of the CTO
- Nexenta: “Nexenta Supports Citrix CloudStack’s Move to Apache” by Evan Powell, CEO
- RightScale: “Cloud APIs: It's the Architecture that Matters” by Thorsten von Eicken, CTO
- ServiceMesh: “Apache CloudStack: AWS for Every Man” by Dave Roberts, SVP, Business Development & Platform Ecosystem
- Vyatta: “The CloudStack Choice” by Kelly Herrell, CEO
- Zuora: “Zuora in Good Company with Citrix CloudStack and Apache Software Foundation” by Shawn Price, President
- Expert Blog: Citrix – The Open Source Cloud Powerhouse
- Announcement: Citrix CloudStack 3 Brings the Power of Amazon-Style Clouds to Customers of All Sizes
Follow us online:
- Twitter: @Citrix, @Ulander, @cloudstack, @mrhinkle
- Register for Citrix Synergy 2012, San Francisco
- Citrix on Facebook
- CloudStack on LinkedIn
Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS) transforms how businesses and IT work and people collaborate in the cloud era. With market-leading cloud, collaboration, networking and virtualization technologies, Citrix powers mobile workstyles and cloud services, making complex enterprise IT simpler and more accessible for 260,000 organizations. Citrix products touch 75 percent of Internet users each day and it partners with more than 10,000 companies in 100 countries. Annual revenue in 2011 was $2.21 billion. Learn more at www.citrix.com.
For Citrix Investors
This release contains forward-looking statements which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The forward-looking statements in this release, including statements concerning CloudStack and the Company’s markets, do not constitute guarantees of future performance. Those statements involve a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially, including risks associated with the future development of open source projects outside the Company’s control, the impact of the global economy and uncertainty in the IT spending environment, revenue growth and recognition of revenue, products and services, their development and distribution, product demand and pipeline, economic and competitive factors, the Company’s key strategic relationships, acquisition and related integration risks as well as other risks detailed in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Citrix assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information contained in this press release or with respect to the announcements described herein.
The development, release and timing of any features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion and is subject to change without notice or consultation. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions or incorporated into any contract.
Citrix® and CloudStack™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of Citrix Systems, Inc. and/or one or more of its subsidiaries, and may be registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries. Xen® is a trademark of Citrix Systems, Inc. managed on behalf of Xen.org, and may be registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.