SolarWinds Introduces Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS Agent, Its First Patch Management Free Tool
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 06/19/12 -- SolarWinds® (NYSE: SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT management software, today released Solarwinds Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS agent, a simple and free patch management tool that helps systems administrators validate client configurations and troubleshoot client connection issues in their Microsoft® WSUS environment.
"The WSUS community has a desperate need for an updated diagnostic tool for the WSUS agent," said Denny LeCompte, vice president of product management at SolarWinds. "When WSUS version two was first launched in 2005, Microsoft released the Client Diagnostic Tool, a free support tool. However, it has never been updated to reflect the myriad of changes that have occurred from WSUS v2 to WSUS v3 SP2, and the Client Diagnostic Tool is a 32-bit only tool, leaving 64-bit systems with no equivalent functionality."
The free SolarWinds Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS agent validates key Windows Update Agent configuration values and identifies well-known causes for defective configuration values where possible. It tests connections to all WSUS resources required by a client and helps identify causes of connection failures. The tool also provides detailed descriptions of Windows Update Agent errors and the best steps to make repairs to correct errors.
Sysadmins who want to automate patching servers and third party applications across tens of thousands of servers and workstations should also download a free 30-day trial of SolarWinds Patch Manager. With SolarWinds Patch Manager, IT pros can:
- Receive pre-built, tested "WSUS-ready" packages for common third party applications or create your own packages and deploy any MSI, MSP, or EXE through WSUS.
- Manage updates dynamically, pushing the right patches to the right machines at the right time -- including immediate updates and scheduled reboots.
- Execute custom actions with PackageBoot technology before and after patches are deployed, ensuring even the peskiest of patches deploy correctly.
- Perform enterprise-wide discovery and inventory to identify quickly which machines (both physical and virtual) need a patch or to identify rogue or unauthorized devices.
- Diagnose, repair, and force re-install of the Windows Update Agent.
- Discover and report on status of security and critical updates that were recently released by Microsoft.
"What's great about SolarWinds Patch Manager is that everything is right there in a single interface, having a one-stop shop for patches and updates makes a world of a difference," said Brendon DeMuth, IT Technician, City of Roseburg (Oregon).
Pricing and Availability
SolarWinds Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS Agent is free. Pricing for SolarWinds Patch Manager starts at $2,995. For more information on Patch Manager, visit the SolarWinds website to download a free 30-day evaluation or call 866.530.8100.
The SolarWinds product portfolio includes over 25 free IT management tools made to address the needs of today's IT professional.
All Rights Reserved.