Telling The truth® But Not 'Offending': truth® On The Red Carpet With YOMYOMF Network To Share Tobacco Education Message
WASHINGTON, Aug. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- truth®, the nation's largest youth smoking prevention campaign, is teaming up with the brand new and increasingly popular YouTube channel You Offend Me You Offend My Family (YOMYOMF) Network by having a presence at the finale of Internet Icon, a reality challenge contest focused on producing short videos and finding the next big Internet star.
The YOMYOMF Network officially launched in June this year. The channel, based on the pop culture blog YouOffendMeYouOffendMyFamily, features video and content from top content creators including partners Justin Lin, director of the Fast and Furious films, and YouTube stars Ryan Higa, Kevin Wu and Chester See. The YOMYOMF Network brings innovative Asian American-centric entertainment that merges Hollywood and YouTube, and is already one of YouTube's most established and well-known channels.
On Tuesday, August 14 in Los Angeles, the winner of the channel's Internet Icon will be announced. Icon contestants compete in a series of challenges designed to highlight their creativity and filmmaking skills – all in an effort to become the next big Internet star. Chester See, YouTube personality and musician, hosts the show. YouTube sensation Ryan Higa and actress Christine Lakin judge the contestants. Andy Fickman's Oops Doughnuts Productions produces the show. D-trix, from America's Best Dance Crew, and Andrew Garcia, a top ten finalist on American Idol, will be performing at the finale. Comedian Kassem G, known for his online series California On and Going Deep, will join Ryan and Christine as a guest judge.
Working with the YOMYOMF Network is part of truth's strategy to have a presence where teens naturally gather – whether through music and sporting events across the country (touring), having a robust presence online, or working through popular media channels to engage with teens and young adults and share lifesaving messages about tobacco use. With 80 percent of adult smokers starting to smoke before the age of 18, truth aims to reach young people with facts and information before they make the decision to smoke.
"YouTube garners more than four billion views per day and the YOMYOMF Network is one of the fastest rising original channels in YouTube history," said Nicole Dorrler, Assistant Vice President of Marketing at Legacy®. "Teaming up with YOMYOMF gives truth exposure to its more than 400,000 subscribers – extending and deepening our conversation with teens about tobacco and the harms of its use."
The live finale of Internet Icon will feature several truth elements:
- Tahir Moore, a contestant, aspiring comedian and former truth brand ambassador, will host "truth orange carpet" interviews with finalists and celebrity guests.
- Mandy Jiroux, singer, dancer and member of BG5 will serve as truth's "fashion correspondent" on the orange carpet.
- Before the airing of the Internet Icon finalist videos, theatergoers will see the teaser "Honey" for truth's next mobile game Flavor Monsters.
- Attendees will receive truth-branded 'gear' from this year's tour in gift bags. Each summer, truth tours the county with popular musical, sporting and gaming events – meeting thousands of teens where they naturally gather. At each stop, truth brand ambassadors distribute truth "gear" – fashionable and trendy items reflecting tobacco messages.
- Online at truth's Facebook page – www.facebook.com/truthorange – Fans will be polled as to the winner of Internet Icon.
"YOMYOMF and truth are providing innovative content that connects with youth who are the drivers behind the success of online content and youth tobacco prevention," said Pradeepa Jeeva, Head of Production for the YOMYOMF Network.