Ciena and Telefonica Vivo Launch Brazil’s First 100G Network
Brazil’s Leading Operator Leverages Ciena’s Coherent Optical Technology to Meet Requirements for Bandwidth Growth, Resiliency and Flexibility
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that its 100G solution, architected with WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors, has been deployed by Telefonica Vivo. This is the first active 100G network in Brazil, which connects native 100GbE channels to the DWDM system to provide unprecedented speeds for outbound international traffic. The network includes 100G routes that connect the cities of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Praia Grande, Brazil. Ciena’s industry-leading 100G coherent solution will add significant bandwidth, scalability and reliability to Telefonica Vivo’s network infrastructure.
- Telefonica is the largest mobile operator in Brazil with 76 million customers and is also the top performing wireless company based on the national telecommunications sector watchdog Anatel’s quality indicators. The company has 3.7 million fixed broadband customers and 610,700 pay TV access points in Brazil.
- With this regional and long-haul domestic network upgrade, Telefonica Vivo becomes the first network operator in Brazil to deploy 100G, allowing the operator to extract more capacity out of existing fiber and support the delivery of high-bandwidth services and applications.
- The upgraded network, spanning hundreds of kilometers, will provide 100G transport between the cities of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Praia Grande, Brazil over multiple routes.
- Telefonica Vivo and Ciena have a long-term relationship and have been working together for more than ten years.
“Demand for capacity will continue to grow because of the increasing
number of connections to public and private networks, as well as the
business and consumer demand for applications such as video and remote
storage. Addressing this challenge requires a network that is
future-proof and that combines intelligence, scalability and high
capacity - and that is where Ciena’s intelligent infrastructure comes
into play. We are thrilled to support Telefonica Vivo in building the
country’s first 100G network, which will allow Brazilians to enjoy
advanced, high-speed applications and services.”
- Fabio Medina, vice president and general manager, Central and Latin America, Ciena
“Telefonica Vivo is the mobile broadband leader in Brazil, covering
more than 3,100 cities with HSPA+ technology. Just as important as
providing 3G coverage for all of these cities in a country as huge as
Brazil, is the challenge of having a robust high capacity backbone.
Because of this, the first DWDM 100G route deployment is aligned with
our strategy of growing and quality assurance for our customers.”
- Leonardo Capdeville, network planning and technology director, Telefonica Vivo